Turkish Proverb word senses
Total 20 word senses
- akılsız başın cezasını ayaklar çeker (Proverb) those who do not think (especially those who forget an item) have to make a physical effort to deal with the consequences
- armut dalının dibine düşer (Proverb) the apple doesn't fall far from the tree
- ayağını yorganına göre uzat (Proverb) live within your income
- bal olan yerde sinek de olur (Proverb) in a place in which there is honey, there are also flies.
- bayram değil seyran değil, eniştem beni niye öptü (Proverb) Alternative form of düğün değil bayram değil, eniştem beni niye öptü
- damlaya damlaya göl olur (Proverb) many a mickle makes a muckle
- davulun sesi uzaktan hoş gelir (Proverb) the grass is always greener on the other side (literally, the distant drum sounds pleasant)
- düğün değil bayram değil, eniştem beni niye öptü (Proverb) a phrase used when thinking that someone's compliments may have a hidden reason
- elçiye zeval olmaz (Proverb) don't shoot the messenger (the bearer of bad news should not be held accountable for the bad news)
- gözden ırak olan gönülden de ırak olur (Proverb) out of sight, out of mind.
- hatasız kul olmaz (Proverb) to err is human, it literally means "there is no servant without mistakes".
- havlayan köpek ısırmaz (Proverb) barking dogs seldom bite
- herkes hata yapar (Proverb) Everyone makes mistakes, to err is human
- intikam soğuk yenen bir yemektir (Proverb) revenge is a dish best served cold
- it ürür, kervan yürür (Proverb) The dog barks, but the caravan goes by.
- sabreden derviş muradına ermiş (Proverb) Rome wasn't built in a day
- sütten ağzı yanan, yoğurdu üfleyerek yer (Proverb) once bitten, twice shy
- tarih tekerrürden ibarettir (Proverb) History repeats itself.
- vakit nakittir (Proverb) time is money
- yalancının mumu yatsıya kadar yanar (Proverb) a lie has no legs
Download JSON data for these senses (15.7kB)
This page is a part of the kaikki.org machine-readable Turkish dictionary. This dictionary is based on structured data extracted on 2023-12-04 from the enwiktionary dump dated 2023-12-01 using wiktextract (d78fae7 and e74a84e).
The data shown on this site has been post-processed and various details (e.g., extra categories) removed, some information disambiguated, and additional data merged from other sources. See the raw data download page for the unprocessed wiktextract data.
If you use this data in academic research, please cite Tatu Ylonen: Wiktextract: Wiktionary as Machine-Readable Structured Data, Proceedings of the 13th Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC), pp. 1317-1325, Marseille, 20-25 June 2022. Linking to the relevant page(s) under https://kaikki.org would also be greatly appreciated.