Middle French Suffix word senses
Total 25 word senses
- -able (Suffix) -able
- -age (Suffix) forms nouns with the sense of "action or result of Xing" or, more rarely, "action related to X"
- -age (Suffix) forms nouns with the sense of "state of being (a) X"
- -aige (Suffix) Alternative form of -age
- -amment (Suffix) Variant of -ment appended to adjectives ending with -ant.
- -ance (Suffix) -ance (suffixed used to form nouns)
- -ant (Suffix) used to form the present participle of verbs
- -ation (Suffix) -ation
- -elette (Suffix) diminutive suffix
- -er (Suffix) Forms infinitives of first-conjugation verbs
- -er (Suffix) Forms nouns, often denoting professions
- -esse (Suffix) -ess
- -et (Suffix) Used to form a diminutive, masculine noun.
- -ette (Suffix) -et, -ette (diminutive suffix forming feminine nouns and adjectives)
- -eur (Suffix) Used to form agent nouns from verbs.
- -eux (Suffix) -ous, -y
- -ie (Suffix) indicates a feminine noun, often an abstract one
- -ien (Suffix) -ian
- -ier (Suffix) Alternative form of -er (suffix forming or denoting a verb)
- -ier (Suffix) Alternative form of -er (suffix forming or denoting an agent noun, often a profession)
- -if (Suffix) -ive
- -ité (Suffix) -ity
- -ment (Suffix) Used to form adverbs, most of the time equivalent to the English -wise, -ly.
- -ment (Suffix) Used to form nouns from verbs, usually of action or state resulting of them. Equivalent to the English -ment.
- -té (Suffix) -ty (suffix used to form nouns, often denoting a quality or a property)
Download JSON data for these senses (7.0kB)
This page is a part of the kaikki.org machine-readable Middle French dictionary. The data was extracted on 2021-06-21 from the enwiktionary dump dated 2021-06-20 using wiktextract. The machine-readable data formats are described on that page.