Middle English word senses marked with topical category "Pain"
Parent categories: Senses, Body
Total 22 word senses
- ache (Noun) Aching; long-lasting hurting or injury.
- aken (Verb) To ache, to hurt.
- anoy (Noun) annoyance, irritation
- anoyen (Verb) To hurt; to cause injury.
- anoyous (Adjective) troublesome, challenging, annoying
- noy (Noun) pain, injury
- noyaunce (Noun) An injury; the infliction of harm.
- noyen (Verb) To hurt; to cause injury.
- noyous (Adjective) painful, injurious, harmful
- noysom (Adjective) noisome, offensive
- sore (Adjective) Senses associated with pain:; Harmful; creating or producing pain.
- sore (Adjective) Senses associated with pain:; Sore, hurting, injured; currently in pain or wounded or affected by it.
- sore (Adjective) Senses associated with pain:; Capable of inducing or creating pain or wounds; rending or dire.
- sorenes (Noun) Anguish or agony of the mind.
- sorhed (Noun) painfulness
- souke (Noun) Breastfeeding or milking; the extraction of milk.
- stynge (Noun) A sting; the pain caused by a stinger or any analogous pain.
- styngyng (Noun) A sting; the pain caused by a stinging or similar pain.
- vexacioun (Noun) injury, pain
- vexen (Verb) To afflict; to hurt (someone)
- writhen (Verb) To writhe; to make a twisting motion (often while in pain)
- writhyng (Noun) A writhing; a painful twisting.
Download JSON data for these senses (35.9kB)
This page is a part of the kaikki.org machine-readable Middle English dictionary. This dictionary is based on structured data extracted on 2022-01-20 from the enwiktionary dump dated 2022-01-01 using wiktextract.
The data shown on this site has been post-processed and various details (e.g., extra categories) removed, some information disambiguated, and additional data merged from other sources. See the raw data download page for the unprocessed wiktextract data.