Middle English word senses marked with topical category "Fire"
Parent categories: Combustion, Light sources, Chemical processes, Light, Nature, Energy
Total 42 word senses
- asshe (Noun) ashes (the powdery matter produced by a fire, often used in medicine and cooking)
- aundire (Noun) andiron
- bale (Noun) Any large fire; a bonfire or pyre.
- beken (Noun) The structure a beacon is placed on.
- bekenen (Verb) To blaze or flame.
- blase (Noun) A fire or burning, especially referring to its flaming.
- blase (Noun) A lamp or signal; fire used as lighting.
- blasen (Verb) To blaze; to be alight or flaming with intensity.
- blast (Noun) An emission or expulsion of fire or flames.
- blasten (Verb) To emit fire from one's mouth.
- brand (Noun) fire, flame
- brand (Noun) burning wood or coal
- brand (Noun) torch (lit stick)
- branden (Verb) To burn; to blaze.
- chymeney (Noun) A hearth; where a fire is lighted.
- fagot (Noun) A piece of wood for burning; firewood.
- fewell (Noun) Items to be burnt; fuel.
- flawme (Noun) Fire (in the abstract or an instantiation)
- flawmen (Verb) To produce or release flames; to flame or be alight.
- flawmen (Verb) To produce or release bright light; to glimmer or sheen.
- flawmen (Verb) To emit, release, or produce sparkling or embers.
- flawmen (Verb) To release light or brightness onto someone.
- flawmy (Adjective) On fire; emitting or releasing flames.
- forneys (Noun) Fires used to inflict punishment or retribution upon someone.
- fumerelle (Noun) A femerell; a vent for smoke to escape out of.
- fumygacioun (Noun) The burning of odourous substances for medicinal or religious reasons.
- funke (Noun) spark
- fyr (Noun) fire
- fyr-brand (Noun) torch (lit stick)
- gnast (Noun) spark (small fire)
- herth (Noun) A hearth; a place where a fire is lighted.
- leyt (Noun) A small spark, jet or stream of fire.
- matere (Noun) Wood or timber, especially when used to stoke a fire.
- soot (Adjective) Alternative form of swete
- sooty (Adjective) Soiled with soot; sooty.
- sparke (Noun) particle, mote
- sparkel (Noun) particle, mote
- sparken (Verb) To spark (emit sparks)
- sparken (Verb) To sparkle; to glitter.
- sparklen (Verb) To sparkle; to scintillate.
- tinder (Noun) tinder, firestarters
- vapour (Noun) Fumes or vapour; a visible gaseous emission:; Fumes given off by combustion; smoke.
Download JSON data for these senses (66.8kB)
This page is a part of the kaikki.org machine-readable Middle English dictionary. This dictionary is based on structured data extracted on 2022-01-19 from the enwiktionary dump dated 2022-01-01 using wiktextract.
The data shown on this site has been post-processed and various details (e.g., extra categories) removed, some information disambiguated, and additional data merged from other sources. See the raw data download page for the unprocessed wiktextract data.