Hungarian Particle word senses
Total 9 word senses
- bár (Conjunction) although, though
- bár (Particle) if only
- bár (Noun) bar, nightclub
- bárcsak (Particle) if only
- dehogy (Particle) not at all, of course not
- való (Adjective) meant, supposed, intended (to be somewhere or in some way)
- való (Adjective) fitting, suitable, appropriate (followed by -nak/-nek or -hoz/-hez/-höz)
- való (Adjective) real
- való (Adjective) It may be added to the infinitive of a verb to form an adjective denoting “ought to be (done)” or “worthy of (doing)” or (writing as one word) to form the corresponding noun (“something that ought to be done or is worthy of doing”); see the examples below.
- való (Particle) Used to connect modifiers (e.g. adverbs) to a noun that expresses an action or process (ending in -ás/-és, similar to the English gerund)
- való (Noun) reality, truth
- volna (Verb) third-person singular conditional present of van
- volna (Particle) would have, forms the past conditional
- volt (Verb) third-person singular indicative past indefinite of van
- volt (Verb) past participle of van
- volt (Adjective) ex-, former, late, past, sometime
- volt (Particle) Used after a past-tense verb form to express past perfect.
- volt (Noun) volt (unit of measure, symbol: V)
- -e (Suffix) Possessive (and genitive) suffix:; his, her, its …
- -e (Suffix) Possessive (and genitive) suffix:; …-'s, of … (third-person singular, single possession)
- -e (Suffix) Possessive (and genitive) suffix:; …-s’, of …-s (third-person plural, single possession)
- -e (Suffix) Possessive (and genitive) suffix:; … ago (referring to a preceding point in time considered as an instant)
- -e (Suffix) Possessive (and genitive) suffix:; for … (referring to some duration that precedes the point of time in question)
- -e (Suffix) Possessive (and genitive) suffix:; of …, out of … (partitive sense)
- -e (Suffix) Third-person singular personal suffix in back-vowel verbs. Today it can be found in the third-person singular definite forms (indicative past and imperative conjugations) as part of the suffix -ja/-je, -ta/-te.
- -e (Suffix) Third-person singular personal suffix in back-vowel conjugated infinitives and in the declined and postposition forms of the third-person personal pronoun ő (“he/she/it”).
- -e (Particle) whether, if
- -e (Particle) Suffix for yes/no tag questions. Always optional since word order and intonation make the question clear.
- -e (Suffix) Used to form the third-person singular indicative past indefinite, for front-vowel verbs. The back-vowel version is -a. The suffix currently used in this place is -t, -tt, -ett or -ött. For the full paradigm, see the usage template.
- -e (Suffix) Synonym of -ő (present-participle suffix) The back-vowel version is -a. Sometimes it also occurs as -é or -i.
- -é (Suffix) -'s, belonging to ……, that of ……. Used to form the non-attributive possessive form of nouns. Compare the English pronouns mine, yours etc.). The plural form is -éi.
- -é (Suffix) -'s, those of ……. It is also used informally for the plural of the non-attributive possessive (-éi being somewhat pedantic).
- -é (Suffix) Used to form the lative, expressing the direction (“where to”) or the purpose (“what for”).
- -é (Particle) Alternative form of -e (“whether, if”) Tag for yes/no questions, always written with a hyphen before.
- -é (Suffix) Used to form the third-person singular indicative past definite, for front-vowel verbs.
- -é (Suffix) Combining form of -e (possessive suffix) before most case suffixes, except that of the essive-formal.
Download JSON data for these senses (11.9kB)
This page is a part of the kaikki.org machine-readable Hungarian dictionary. This dictionary is based on structured data extracted on 2023-12-04 from the enwiktionary dump dated 2023-12-01 using wiktextract (d78fae7 and e74a84e).
The data shown on this site has been post-processed and various details (e.g., extra categories) removed, some information disambiguated, and additional data merged from other sources. See the raw data download page for the unprocessed wiktextract data.
If you use this data in academic research, please cite Tatu Ylonen: Wiktextract: Wiktionary as Machine-Readable Structured Data, Proceedings of the 13th Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC), pp. 1317-1325, Marseille, 20-25 June 2022. Linking to the relevant page(s) under https://kaikki.org would also be greatly appreciated.