German Symbol word senses
Total 31 word senses
- * (Symbol) the Gendersternchen; Used to separate multiple gendered inflections in "gender-neutral" writing.
- ./. (Symbol) v., versus
- AAD (Symbol) AAD
- Anton (Symbol) The letter A in the German and Austrian spelling alphabets.
- Berta (Symbol) The letter B in the German and Austrian spelling alphabets.
- Charlotte (Symbol) The digraph Ch in the German spelling alphabet.
- Cäsar (Symbol) The letter C in the German and Austrian spelling alphabets.
- J (Symbol) The chemical symbol of iodine.
- J (Symbol) A jack, also called Junge.
- KS (Symbol) Kₐ
- Kaufmann (Symbol) The letter K from the Deutschland Buchstabiertafel, the phonetic alphabet of Germany
- SS (Symbol) One of the official capital forms of ß (the other one is ẞ), or ss used in Swiss and Liechtenstein German, or once ſs (in Antiqua)
- at (Symbol) Symbol for technische Atmosphäre, a non-SI unit of pressure used until 1978.
- ccm (Symbol) ccm (“cubic centimetre”)
- ss (Symbol) Sometimes used to replace the letter ß, especially when this key or character is not available. It was also the only official way of writing a capital ß, until ẞ was officially adopted by the Council for German Orthography in June 2017.
- ss (Symbol) Switzerland and Liechtenstein standard spelling of ß.
- Ärger (Symbol) The letter Ä in the German and Austrian spelling alphabets.
- ß (Symbol) Eszett (“sz”) or scharfes S, a German letter based on a ligature of ſ (long s) and z.
- æ (Symbol) Vowel borrowed from Latin. Succeeded by ä.
- œ (Symbol) Vowel borrowed from Latin. Succeeded by ö.
- ᛉ (Symbol) born (replacing *)
- ᛦ (Symbol) died, dead (replacing †)
- – (Symbol) Used to replace a zero before the decimal point, i. e. for monetary values below 1.
- – (Symbol) Used to replace two zeroes after the decimal point in monetary values in running text (in tables, the em dash — is used).
- ⇩ (Symbol) Caps Lock
- ⌀ (Symbol) diameter
- ⌀ (Symbol) average
- ☉ (Symbol) city center
- ⚵ (Symbol) getauft (baptized)
- ⸚ (Symbol) Used in dictionaries to denote word formation by adding umlaut.
- 🄮 (Symbol) Warenzeichen (“trademark”)
Download JSON data for these senses (19.7kB)
This page is a part of the kaikki.org machine-readable German dictionary. The data was extracted on 2021-09-17 from the enwiktionary dump dated 2021-09-01 using wiktextract. The machine-readable data formats are described on that page.