English word senses marked with tag "Pennsylvania"
Total 35 word senses
- Mischief Night (Proper name) A particular night during which young people play pranks and do mischief in their neighborhoods.; The night of the 30th to the 31st of October (the night before Halloween).
- Pollyanna (Noun) A secret Santa gift exchange.
- all (Adjective) All gone; dead.
- awhile (Adverb) In the meantime; during an implicit ongoing process.
- baby coach (Noun) Synonym of baby carriage.
- barnburner (Noun) a strike-anywhere match.
- berm (Noun) A strip of land between a street and sidewalk.
- blickey (Noun) A canister or dinner pail usually of tin.
- cracky wagon (Noun) A one-horse wagon without springs.
- dippy eggs (Noun) Eggs cooked over easy or soft-boiled.
- doppich (Adjective) Clumsy; lacking dexterity; not skilled.
- fippenny bit (Noun) The Spanish half real, or one sixteenth of a dollar.
- furtaking (Noun) hunting for pelts
- ground rent (Noun) Rentcharge.
- grundsow (Noun) A groundhog, a woodchuck.
- hap (Noun) A wrap, such as a quilt or a comforter. Also, a small or folded blanket placed on the end of a bed to keep feet warm.
- hex sign (Noun) A geometric design usually consisting of a star or flower placed in a circular field, used by the Fancy Dutch on buildings such as barns, often said to be intended as a ward against evil in former times.
- hoagie (Noun) A sandwich made on a (usually soft) long Italian roll; a submarine sandwich.
- levy (Noun) The Spanish real of one eighth of a dollar, valued at elevenpence when the dollar was rated at seven shillings and sixpence.
- lunch kettle (Noun) A lunchbox.
- make down (Verb) To rain or snow; to precipitate.
- nebby (Adjective) Overly inquiring; nosey.
- pannhas (Noun) scrapple (meat dish)
- putz (Verb) To go around viewing the putzes in the neighborhood.
- redd (Verb) To clean, tidy up, to put in order.
- redd up (Verb) To clean up, especially a room.
- rootch (Verb) To root or rummage around (in search of something).
- run (Noun) A small creek or part thereof. (Compare Southern US branch and New York and New England brook.)
- rutch (Verb) To squirm; to move around frequently.
- shifter (Noun) A switcher or shunter: a railroad locomotive used for shunting.
- shrank (Noun) A large highly decorative German/Dutch-style piece of furniture, which combines aspects of a clothing wardrobe, curio, and cabinet.
- smearcase (Noun) Cottage cheese.
- snicklefritz (Noun) A child, especially a mischievous, noisy child; especially as a nickname or term of endearment. Alternative letter-case form of Snicklefritz.
- state store (Noun) A liquor store
- yens (Pronoun) You, you all; used in referring to a group that includes one's audience.
Download JSON data for these senses (42.3kB)
This page is a part of the kaikki.org machine-readable English dictionary. The data was extracted on 2021-06-21 from the enwiktionary dump dated 2021-06-20 using wiktextract. The machine-readable data formats are described on that page.