English word senses marked with other category "Canadian English"
uey - up to one's ass in alligators (14 senses)
- uey (Noun) A U-turn.
- ugly stick (Noun) A traditional Newfoundland musical instrument fashioned from household and toolshed items, typically a mop handle attached with bottle caps, small bells, tin cans, etc., which are struck with a drumstick while one end of the handle is hit against the floor.
- ugly stick (Noun) A notional stick with which unattractive people are said to have been hit, causing them to become ugly.
- unbelaboured (Adjective) Britain and Canada standard spelling of unbelabored.
- uncheck (Verb) To remove a checkmark.
- uncheck (Verb) To remove a previously checked-in passenger from the check-in system, allowing changes to the ticket.
- underbutt (Noun) The lower part of the buttocks, as revealed by certain clothing such as skimpy shorts.
- unhyphenated (Verb) simple past tense and past participle of unhyphenate
- unhyphenated (Adjective) Lacking a hyphen.
- unhyphenated (Adjective) Of people, belonging to a single ethnicity or nationality: names for multi-ethnic/multi-nationality groups generally require a hyphen to connect the names being combined.
- uni (Noun) University.
- uni (Noun) Sea urchin eaten as sushi.
- union station (Noun) A railroad station shared by more than one railroad company, usually to spread the costs and ease the logistics of serving a particular town by rail.
- union station (Noun) An instance of such a station, as for example Union Station in Toronto or Union Station in Los Angeles.
- unpolite (Adjective) Unsophisticated, not refined; coarse, uncultured.
- unpolite (Adjective) Lacking in good manners; impolite, discourteous.
- unrumoured (Adjective) Britain and Canada standard spelling of unrumored.
- unsavoured (Adjective) Britain and Canada standard spelling of unsavored.
- unwoke (Adjective) Not having been woken.
- unwoke (Adjective) Not woke, especially in social justice contexts.
- up the stump (Prepositional phrase) At a loss, puzzled, in a bind.
- up the stump (Prepositional phrase) Pregnant.
- up to one's ass in alligators (Prepositional phrase) Beset by multiple difficulties or adversaries that must be dealt with quickly.
This page is a part of the kaikki.org machine-readable English dictionary. This dictionary is based on structured data extracted on 2022-06-29 from the enwiktionary dump dated 2022-06-20 using wiktextract.
If you use this data in academic research, please cite Tatu Ylonen: Wiktextract: Wiktionary as Machine-Readable Structured Data, Proceedings of the 13th Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC), pp. 1317-1325, Marseille, 20-25 June 2022. Linking to the relevant page(s) under https://kaikki.org would also be greatly appreciated.
The data shown on this site has been post-processed and various details (e.g., extra categories) removed, some information disambiguated, and additional data merged from other sources. See the raw data download page
for the unprocessed wiktextract data.