English word senses marked with topical category "Buildings and structures"
hencoop - homeowner association (16 senses)
- hencoop (Noun) A coop where hens are kept..
- henhouse (Noun) A small house or hutch for chickens or, more specifically, hens to live in.
- high dependency unit (Noun) An area for patients who require more intensive observation, treatment and nursing care than would be usually provided on a general ward. A standard of care between the general ward and full intensive care.
- high-rise (Noun) A tall building, one of many stories.
- high-rise (Adjective) Designed to sit high on, or above, the wearer's hips.
- hoffice (Noun) A home office.
- hog tight (Noun) A pig-proof fence.
- holding cell (Noun) A cell in a police station or courthouse in which a prisoner is held temporarily, pending charge, trial or sentencing.
- hole (Noun) A hollow place or cavity; an excavation; a pit; an opening in or through a solid body, a fabric, etc.; a perforation; a rent; a fissure.
- hole (Noun) An opening in a solid.
- hole (Noun) In games.; A subsurface standard-size hole, also called cup, hitting the ball into which is the object of play. Each hole, of which there are usually eighteen as the standard on a full course, is located on a prepared surface, called the green, of a particular type grass.
- hole (Noun) In games.; The part of a game in which a player attempts to hit the ball into one of the holes.
- hole (Noun) In games.; The rear portion of the defensive team between the shortstop and the third baseman.
- hole (Noun) In games.; A square on the board, with some positional significance, that a player does not, and cannot in future, control with a friendly pawn.
- hole (Noun) In games.; A card (also called a hole card) dealt face down thus unknown to all but its holder; the status in which such a card is.
- hole (Noun) In games.; In the game of fives, part of the floor of the court between the step and the pepperbox.
- hole (Noun) An excavation pit or trench.
- hole (Noun) A weakness; a flaw or ambiguity.
- hole (Noun) A container or receptacle.
- hole (Noun) In semiconductors, a lack of an electron in an occupied band behaving like a positively charged particle.
- hole (Noun) A security vulnerability in software which can be taken advantage of by an exploit.
- hole (Noun) An orifice, in particular the anus. When used with shut it always refers to the mouth.
- hole (Noun) Sex, or a sex partner.
- hole (Noun) Solitary confinement, a high-security prison cell often used as punishment.
- hole (Noun) An undesirable place to live or visit; a hovel.
- hole (Noun) Difficulty, in particular, debt.
- hole (Noun) A chordless cycle in a graph.
- hole (Noun) A passing loop; a siding provided for trains traveling in opposite directions on a single-track line to pass each other.
- hole (Verb) To make holes in (an object or surface).
- hole (Verb) To destroy.
- hole (Verb) To go into a hole.
- hole (Verb) To drive into a hole, as an animal, or a billiard ball or golf ball.
- hole (Verb) To cut, dig, or bore a hole or holes in.
- hole (Adjective) Obsolete spelling of whole.
- holodeck (Noun) A room that provides holographic simulations for recreation, training, etc.
- holt (Noun) A small piece of woodland or a woody hill; a copse.
- holt (Noun) The lair of an animal, especially of an otter.
- home cinema (Noun) a system for showing cinema-quality films at home; usually comprising high-definition television and surround sound
- home cinema (Noun) A dedicated room for such a system.
- home loan (Noun) A loan taken for the purpose of purchasing a house, or other type of residential property.
- home office (Noun) The headquarters of an organization.
- home office (Noun) A room, in a person's home, equipped as an office so that the person may work from home.
- home theater (Noun) A system for showing theater-quality films at home, usually comprising high-definition television and surround sound.
- home theater (Noun) A dedicated room for such a system.
- homeless shelter (Noun) A building set up to provide for the needs of homeless people; often including shelter, food, sanitation and other forms of support.
- homeless shelter (Noun) A sanctuary for the temporary housing of domesticated animals without a home.
- homeowner association (Noun) A private association formed by a real estate developer for the purpose of marketing, managing, and selling homes and lots in a residential subdivision.
This page is a part of the kaikki.org machine-readable English dictionary. This dictionary is based on structured data extracted on 2022-06-29 from the enwiktionary dump dated 2022-06-20 using wiktextract.
If you use this data in academic research, please cite Tatu Ylonen: Wiktextract: Wiktionary as Machine-Readable Structured Data, Proceedings of the 13th Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC), pp. 1317-1325, Marseille, 20-25 June 2022. Linking to the relevant page(s) under https://kaikki.org would also be greatly appreciated.
The data shown on this site has been post-processed and various details (e.g., extra categories) removed, some information disambiguated, and additional data merged from other sources. See the raw data download page
for the unprocessed wiktextract data.