English word senses marked with lifeform category "Asterales order plants"
silymarin - soldier's woundwort (8 senses)
- silymarin (Noun) A mixture of flavonolignans extracted from the blessed milk thistle (Silybum marianum), used as a source of silibinin.
- sleepwort (Noun) lettuce (Lactuca sativa)
- snakeroot (Noun) Any member of the genus Ageratina of perennials and rounded shrubs from the sunflower family, growing mainly in the warmer regions of the Americas.
- snakeroot (Noun) Any of various plants of other genera, including Eupatorium, Asarum canadense (Canadian snakeroot), Aristolochia serpentaria (Virginia snakeroot), Eryngium cuneifolium, Plantago major, Polygala senega (Seneca snakeroot), and Rauvolfia serpentina (Indian snakeroot).
- snakeweed (Noun) Any of various unrelated plants reputed to cure snakebite.
- snakeweed (Noun) A poisonous American plant of the genus Gutierrezia.
- sneezeweed (Noun) A plant of the genus Helenium, especially Helenium autumnale.
- sneezeweed (Noun) A plant of the genus Centipeda; either of the species Centipeda cunninghami or Centipeda minima, which induce sneezing and are known as a folk remedy for colds and allergic reactions.
- sneezewort (Noun) Achillea ptarmica, a hardy flowering plant, poisonous to cattle, sheep and horses, but with various herbal applications in humans.
- snow lotus (Noun) Any of various plants in the genus Saussurea that grow at high latitudes in central Asia.
- soldier's woundwort (Noun) Achillea millefolium or common yarrow, a flowering plant widespread in the temperate Northern Hemisphere, formerly and sometimes used to stanch the flow of blood.
This page is a part of the kaikki.org machine-readable English dictionary. This dictionary is based on structured data extracted on 2022-06-28 from the enwiktionary dump dated 2022-06-20 using wiktextract.
If you use this data in academic research, please cite Tatu Ylonen: Wiktextract: Wiktionary as Machine-Readable Structured Data, Proceedings of the 13th Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC), pp. 1317-1325, Marseille, 20-25 June 2022. Linking to the relevant page(s) under https://kaikki.org would also be greatly appreciated.
The data shown on this site has been post-processed and various details (e.g., extra categories) removed, some information disambiguated, and additional data merged from other sources. See the raw data download page
for the unprocessed wiktextract data.