English word senses marked with lifeform category "Asterales order plants"
caltrop - cascade everlasting (13 senses)
- caltrop (Noun) A small, metal object with spikes arranged so that, when thrown onto the ground, one always faces up as a threat to pedestrians, horses, and vehicles.
- caltrop (Noun) The same object represented as a heraldic charge.
- caltrop (Noun) The starthistle, Centaurea calcitrapa, a plant with sharp thorns.
- caltrop (Noun) Any of a number of flowering plants in the family Zygophyllaceae, including several members of the genus Kallstroemia and the species Tribulus terrestris, native to warm temperate and tropical regions.
- camomile (Noun) Composite plant with a fragrance reminiscent of apples:; Matricaria recutita (formerly known as Matricaria chamomilla), German chamomile or Hungarian chamomile, with fragrant flowers used for tea, and as an herbal remedy.
- camomile (Noun) Composite plant with a fragrance reminiscent of apples:; Chamaemelum nobile (formerly Anthemis nobilis), English chamomile or Roman chamomile, a ground cover with fragrant foliage.
- camomile (Noun) Any of several other similar plants. (See below)
- camomile (Noun) Short for camomile tea.
- campanula (Noun) Any plant of the genus Campanula.
- camphorweed (Noun) Any of the genus Pluchea of flowering plants in the Asteraceae family.
- canchalagua (Noun) Any of several plants of the Americas similar to centaury, and formerly used like it for medicinal purposes, among them:; Centaurium cachanlahuen, the original canchalagua
- canchalagua (Noun) Any of several plants of the Americas similar to centaury, and formerly used like it for medicinal purposes, among them:; Centaurium chironioides, a Mexican species
- canchalagua (Noun) Any of several plants of the Americas similar to centaury, and formerly used like it for medicinal purposes, among them:; Zeltnera venusta, a California species in the gentian family
- canchalagua (Noun) Any of several plants of the Americas similar to centaury, and formerly used like it for medicinal purposes, among them:; Schkuhria pinnata, a plant in the sunflower family native to South America and used medicinally
- cankerwort (Noun) The plant Taraxacum officinale.
- capeweed (Noun) The plant Arctotheca calendula
- cardinal flower (Noun) Lobelia cardinalis (syn. L. fulgens), a species of lobelia native to the Americas, usually with vibrant red flowers.
- cardoon (Noun) Cynara cardunculus, a prickly perennial plant related to the artichoke which has leaf stalks eaten as a vegetable.
- carline (Noun) A woman; a hag or witch.
- carline (Noun) A piece of squared timber fitted fore-and-aft between the deck beams of a wooden ship to provide support for the deck planking.
- carline (Noun) A line of automobiles awaiting access to the same building or similar location.
- carline (Noun) Carline thistle.
- carline (Noun) Alternative form of caroline (“an old silver Italian coin”)
- carline thistle (Noun) Any of about 30 species of thistles in the genus Carlina and certain other closely related genera.
- carrotweed (Noun) The ragweed Ambrosia elatior
- cascade everlasting (Noun) Ozothamnus secundiflorus, a species of shrub found in Australia.
This page is a part of the kaikki.org machine-readable English dictionary. This dictionary is based on structured data extracted on 2022-06-29 from the enwiktionary dump dated 2022-06-20 using wiktextract.
If you use this data in academic research, please cite Tatu Ylonen: Wiktextract: Wiktionary as Machine-Readable Structured Data, Proceedings of the 13th Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC), pp. 1317-1325, Marseille, 20-25 June 2022. Linking to the relevant page(s) under https://kaikki.org would also be greatly appreciated.
The data shown on this site has been post-processed and various details (e.g., extra categories) removed, some information disambiguated, and additional data merged from other sources. See the raw data download page
for the unprocessed wiktextract data.