English word senses marked with other category "African-American Vernacular English"
cat - citaye (12 senses)
- cat (Noun) An animal of the family Felidae:; A domesticated species (Felis catus) of feline animal, commonly kept as a house pet.
- cat (Noun) An animal of the family Felidae:; Any similar animal of the family Felidae, which includes lions, tigers, bobcats, etc.
- cat (Noun) A person:; A spiteful or angry woman.
- cat (Noun) A person:; An enthusiast or player of jazz.
- cat (Noun) A person:; A person (usually male).
- cat (Noun) A person:; A prostitute.
- cat (Noun) A strong tackle used to hoist an anchor to the cathead of a ship.
- cat (Noun) Short form of cat-o'-nine-tails.
- cat (Noun) A sturdy merchant sailing vessel (now only in "catboat").
- cat (Noun) The game of "trap and ball" (also called "cat and dog").
- cat (Noun) The trap of the game of "trap and ball".
- cat (Noun) The pointed piece of wood that is struck in the game of tipcat.
- cat (Noun) A vagina, a vulva; the female external genitalia.
- cat (Noun) A double tripod (for holding a plate, etc.) with six feet, of which three rest on the ground, in whatever position it is placed.
- cat (Noun) A wheeled shelter, used in the Middle Ages as a siege weapon to allow assailants to approach enemy defences.
- cat (Verb) To hoist (the anchor) by its ring so that it hangs at the cathead.
- cat (Verb) To flog with a cat-o'-nine-tails.
- cat (Verb) To vomit.
- cat (Verb) To go wandering at night.
- cat (Verb) To gossip in a catty manner.
- cat (Noun) Abbreviation of catamaran.
- cat (Noun) A program and command in Unix that reads one or more files and directs their content to the standard output.
- cat (Verb) To apply the cat command to (one or more files).
- cat (Verb) To dump large amounts of data on (an unprepared target) usually with no intention of browsing it carefully.
- cat (Adjective) Terrible, disastrous.
- cat (Noun) A street name of the drug methcathinone.
- cat (Noun) A catapult.
- cat (Noun) Abbreviation of category.
- cat (Noun) Abbreviation of catfish.
- cat (Noun) Any of a variety of earth-moving machines. (from their manufacturer Caterpillar Inc.)
- cat (Noun) A caterpillar drive vehicle (a ground vehicle which uses caterpillar tracks), especially tractors, trucks, minibuses, and snow groomers.
- cat (Noun) Clipping of catalytic converter.
- catch wreck (Verb) To gain respect.
- cha'm (Noun) Pronunciation spelling of charm.
- cheesit (Interjection) Pronunciation spelling of cheese it.
- chickenlips (Noun) A white person.
- chil'ren (Noun) Pronunciation spelling of children.
- chile (Noun) Alternative form of chili (a chili pepper).
- chile (Noun) Pronunciation spelling of child.
- chilren (Noun) Pronunciation spelling of children.
- chitlin (Noun) chitlins (corruption of chitterlings)
- chop it up (Verb) Used other than figuratively or idiomatically: see chop up.
- chop it up (Verb) To catch up with a person, especially after a long time apart.
- chuck the deuces (Verb) To choose to separate from somebody; to leave another person or group.
- citaye (Noun) A city.
This page is a part of the kaikki.org machine-readable English dictionary. This dictionary is based on structured data extracted on 2022-06-28 from the enwiktionary dump dated 2022-06-20 using wiktextract.
If you use this data in academic research, please cite Tatu Ylonen: Wiktextract: Wiktionary as Machine-Readable Structured Data, Proceedings of the 13th Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC), pp. 1317-1325, Marseille, 20-25 June 2022. Linking to the relevant page(s) under https://kaikki.org would also be greatly appreciated.
The data shown on this site has been post-processed and various details (e.g., extra categories) removed, some information disambiguated, and additional data merged from other sources. See the raw data download page
for the unprocessed wiktextract data.