English word senses marked with category "Midland US English"
Total 35 word senses
- Old Scratch (Proper name) The Devil.
- all (Pronoun) Used after who, what, where, how and similar words, either without changing their meaning, or indicating that one expects that they cover more than one element, e.g. that "who all attended" is more than one person. (Some dialects only allow this to follow some words and not others.)
- as (Adverb) To such an extent or degree; to the same extent or degree.
- as (Adverb) Considered to be, in relation to something else; in the relation (specified).
- as (Adverb) For example; for instance. (Compare such as.)
- as (Conjunction) In the (same) way or manner that; to the (same) degree that.; Used after so or as to introduce a comparison.
- as (Conjunction) In the (same) way or manner that; to the (same) degree that.; Used to introduce a result: with the result that it is.
- as (Conjunction) In the (same) way or manner that; to the (same) degree that.; Expressing concession: though.
- as (Conjunction) At the time that; during the time when:; At the same instant or moment that: when.
- as (Conjunction) At the time that; during the time when:; At the same time that, during the same time when: while.
- as (Conjunction) At the time that; during the time when:; Varying through time in the same proportion that.
- as (Conjunction) Being that, considering that, because, since.
- as (Conjunction) Introducing a comparison with a hypothetical state (+ subjunctive, or with the verb elided): as though, as if.
- as (Conjunction) Functioning as a relative conjunction, and sometimes like a relative pronoun: that, which, who. (See usage notes.)
- as (Conjunction) Than.
- as (Preposition) Introducing a basis of comparison, with an object in the objective case.
- as (Preposition) In the role of.
- as (Preposition) by way of
- as (Noun) A libra.
- as (Noun) Any of several coins of Rome, coined in bronze or later copper; or the equivalent value.
- as (Abbreviation) As hell or as fuck; very much; extremely.
- bismarck (Noun) A dessert pastry:; A fried cruller, or a sort of pancake.
- bumfuzzle (Verb) To confuse or fluster.
- gullywasher (Noun) An intense, but usually short-lived, rainstorm.
- if'n (Conjunction) If.
- lay by (Verb) To tend (a crop) for the last time, leaving it to mature without further cultivation.
- long sweetening (Noun) A viscous, syrupy sweetener, generally molasses, but sometimes table syrup.
- mirate (Verb) To marvel at.
- miration (Noun) Display of surprise or wonderment, of marvelling at something; commotion.
- nearabout (Adverb) Near, nearly, almost.
- oncet (Adverb) Once.
- quirl (Verb) To curl or twirl, or twist or coil (up).
- run (Noun) A small creek or part thereof. (Compare Southern US branch and New York and New England brook.)
- short sweetening (Noun) Sugar.
- twicet (Adverb) Twice.
Download JSON data for these senses (80.0kB)
This page is a part of the kaikki.org machine-readable English dictionary. The data was extracted on 2021-06-20 from the enwiktionary dump dated 2021-06-01 using wiktextract. The machine-readable data formats are described on that page.