Arabic Interfix word senses
Total 2 word senses
- ان (Suffix) Suffix used in forming intensive adjectives of the pattern فَعْلَان (faʕlān), e.g. تَعْبَان (taʕbān, “tired”), عَطْشَان (ʕaṭšān, “thirsty”), غَضْبَان (ḡaḍbān, “angry”), زَعْلَان (zaʕlān, “annoyed”), كَسْلَان (kaslān, “lazy”), نَعْسَان (naʕsān, “drowsy”). These adjectives generally have a feminine in َـى (-ā), e.g. عَطْشَى (ʕaṭšā), كَسْلَى (kaslā), نَعْسَى (naʕsā).
- ان (Interfix) Interfix used in forming nisba (relative) adjectives, inserted between the base noun and the ending ـِيّ (-iyy), e.g. أَنَانِيّ (ʔanāniyy, “selfish”), based on أَنَا (ʔanā) or عَالَمَانِيّ (ʕālamāniyy, “worldly, secular”), based on عَالَم (ʕālam, “world”).
- ان (Suffix) Suffix added to a noun or adjective to form the nominative dual form.
- و (Character) The twenty-seventh letter of the Arabic alphabet. It is preceded by ه (h) and followed by ي (y).
- و (Symbol) The sixth letter in traditional abjad order, which is used in place of numerals for list numbering (abjad numerals). It is preceded by ه (h) and followed by ز (z).
- و (Conjunction) and, "comma", "semi-colon"; a divider of words or clauses, particle of connection or continuation often unnecessary to render in translation
- و (Conjunction) and, "comma", "semi-colon"; a divider of words or clauses, particle of connection or continuation often unnecessary to render in translation; yet, but; versatile conjunction determined by context
- و (Conjunction) while, at the same time, and also do, simultaneously, to do this and to do that concurrently
- و (Conjunction) particle of rephrasing or marking a clause of adposition; and in other words, that is to say, additionally called, i.e.
- و (Conjunction) with, and also, additionally (with following accusative)
- و (Conjunction) with, and also, additionally (with following accusative); +, added to
- و (Conjunction) particle denoting an oath (with following genitive)
- و (Preposition) with
- و (Interfix) interfix used in forming nisba (relative) adjectives, particularly with short bases, inserted between the base noun and the ending ِـيّ (-iyy), e.g. لُغَوِيّ (luḡawiyy, “linguistic”), based on لُغَة (luḡa, “language”), or ثَانَوِيّ (ṯānawiyy, “secondary”), based on ثَانٍ (ṯānin, “second”).
Download JSON data for these senses (2.5kB)
This page is a part of the kaikki.org machine-readable Arabic dictionary. This dictionary is based on structured data extracted on 2023-12-04 from the enwiktionary dump dated 2023-12-01 using wiktextract (d78fae7 and e74a84e).
The data shown on this site has been post-processed and various details (e.g., extra categories) removed, some information disambiguated, and additional data merged from other sources. See the raw data download page for the unprocessed wiktextract data.
If you use this data in academic research, please cite Tatu Ylonen: Wiktextract: Wiktionary as Machine-Readable Structured Data, Proceedings of the 13th Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC), pp. 1317-1325, Marseille, 20-25 June 2022. Linking to the relevant page(s) under https://kaikki.org would also be greatly appreciated.