Ancient Greek Phrase word senses
Total 21 word senses
- γλαῦκ' εἰς Ἀθήνας (Phrase) Undertaking a pointless, redundant, unnecessary, superfluous, or highly uneconomical venture.
- εἰ δὲ μή γε (Phrase) otherwise, but if not, or else
- εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας τῶν αἰώνων (Phrase) forever and ever
- καλός κἀγαθός (Phrase) imbued with kalokagathia; beautiful and good, handsome and brave; noble, virtuous, knightly, gentlemanly, chivalrous, honorable, heroic; possessing the attributes of a man harmonious in mind and body, strong in both spiritual and physical virtue
- κἀγώ (Phrase) crasis of καὶ (kaì) and ἐγώ (egṓ): and I
- κἀν (Phrase) crasis of καὶ (kaì) and ἐν (en)
- κἀνταῦθα (Phrase) Contraction of καὶ ἐνταῦθᾰ (kaì entaûtha).
- κἄν (Phrase) crasis of καὶ (kaì) and ᾰ̓́ν (án)
- κἄν (Phrase) crasis of καὶ (kaì) and ᾱ̓́ν (ā́n)
- μολὼν λαβέ (Phrase) "come and take [them]" (in response to the Persian army’s demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae).
- σοφόν τὸ σαφές (Phrase) wise [is] the precise. Quotation from: Euripides, Orestes, 397 (translation@perseus by Coleridge)
- τί πράσσεις (Phrase) how are you? (singular use; literally what do you fare)
- τί πράττεις (Phrase) Attic form of τῐ́ πρᾱ́σσεις (tí prā́sseis)
- ταὐτά (Phrase) Contraction of τᾰ̀ αὐτᾰ́ (tà autá).
- τοὐναντίον (Phrase) Contraction of τὸ ἐνᾰντῐ́ον (tò enantíon).
- τοὔνομα (Phrase) Contraction of τὸ ὄνομα (tò ónoma, “the name”).
- τἆλλα (Phrase) Contraction of τά ἄλλα (tá álla).
- τὠυτό (Phrase) Contraction of τὸ αὐτό (tò autó).
- τῷ ὄντι (Phrase) in fact, in reality, actually
- ἆρον ἆρον (Phrase) lift, lift! take, take! Phrase from the New Testament (John 19:15)
- ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι (Phrase) quod erat demonstrandum
Download JSON data for these senses (31.3kB)
This page is a part of the kaikki.org machine-readable Ancient Greek dictionary. This dictionary is based on structured data extracted on 2021-10-15 from the enwiktionary dump dated 2021-10-01 using wiktextract.
The data shown on this site has been post-processed and various details (e.g., extra categories) removed, some information disambiguated, and additional data merged from other sources. See the raw data download page for the unprocessed wiktextract data.