All languages combined word senses marked with topical category "Checkmate patterns"
Words starting with Arabian mate - David and Goliath mate (5 senses)
- Arabian mate (Noun) [English] A checkmate pattern in which a rook provides the checkmate to the cornered king while being protected by a knight that also covers the only would-be escape square.
- Blind Swine Mate (Noun) [English] A checkmate pattern in which the king is confined to two squares at an edge of the board and then mated by two doubled rooks.
- Boden's mate (Noun) [English] A checkmate pattern in which two bishops on criss-crossing diagonals deliver mate while the king is boxed in from the other side, usually by friendly pieces.
- Cozio's mate (Noun) [English] A checkmate pattern in which a queen, supported by a piece of its same color, is placed diagonally adjacent to the enemy king. The two flight squares that the queen does not control are occupied by pieces of the king's own color.
- David and Goliath mate (Noun) [English] A checkmate delivered by a pawn.
This page is a part of the kaikki.org machine-readable All languages combined dictionary. This dictionary is based on structured data extracted on 2022-05-25 from the enwiktionary dump dated 2022-05-20 using wiktextract.
The data shown on this site has been post-processed and various details (e.g., extra categories) removed, some information disambiguated, and additional data merged from other sources. See the raw data download page for the unprocessed wiktextract data.